How to Port a SIM or Mobile Number – In the early 2000s, it was not possible to retain mobile number while porting to another SIM or Network. But now it is possible to retain the same SIM & Mobile Number because of the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service by TRAI.
How to Port a SIM or Mobile Number?
Before porting your mobile number to another network you should keep few things in mind. Those things are your mobile number should be active for at least 90 days and all bills should be clear before applying for the Mobile Number Porting.
If the above criteria are fulfilled then you can follow the below-mentioned steps to Port your SIM:
1. First of all, you decide to which Mobile Operator or Network you want to port your number. You can take a look at suitable plans on the respective operator’s websites.
2. When you finalized the next operator than give them a call on their customer care center to know the exact process of porting the mobile number. Also, ask them to generate Unique Porting Number (UPN).
3. You can also generate UPN via sending them the following message – PORT followed by your 10-digit mobile number to TRAI’s central number for mobile number portability – 1900.
Example – Send ‘PORT 99XXXXXX99’ to 1900. You’ll receive an SMS back from the current mobile operator with a port out code which will remain valid for only 15 days.
4. Now visit the nearest Mobile Operator center to which you want to port your mobile number. They will ask you to fill the Porting Form along with Unique Porting Number which you’ve received on your mobile.
5. You also need to provide the passport size photograph, self-attested identity proof and address proof. You can submit the following documents as address proof – a copy of the rent agreement, landline bill, electricity bill, or a three-month bank statement.
6. Now you need to fill and submit the duly filled porting form and CAF along with requisite documentary proof.
7. After completing all the above-mentioned step you need to obtain a new SIM from the new operator. The mobile operator may charge a porting fee of Rs 19/- and fee may vary from operator to operator.
8. The SIM Porting Process may take 07 Seven days to Port and may take 15 days to Jammu & Kashmir, Assam, and North East.
9. You’ll be keep updated about the porting process by your mobile network. You have to replace the new SIM after the date and time provided by the new operator.
Things to be Note While Porting Process
- Your old SIM services should not be interrupted while the process porting.
- You can withdraw the porting request within the 24 hours of porting request to new SIM or Mobile Number.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Send the porting request via SMS to your mobile network provider on the number – 1900. The SMS should be in the format – PORT 99XXXXXX99′ to 1900.
You can’t port your mobile number to another network provider if you’ve canceled your services or your number is not active in the last 90 days.
You can port your SIM or Mobile Number once in 30 days but your all bills should be cleared before applying for the porting the number.
The porting process of a SIM or Mobile Number may take somewhere between 7 to 15 days to Port a SIM or Mobile Number.
You can give a call to your current service provider and ask them to generate the Unique Porting Number (UPN), this is how you can get porting code without sending the SMS.